Work with a Professional Contractor for Duct Improvement Projects
Many homeowners choose to work with a professional contractor for duct improvement projects. Most heating and cooling equipment contractors also repair ductwork or AC repair Elgin. Look for a contractor that will:
- Inspect the whole duct system, including attic and crawlspaces.
- Evaluate the system’s supply and return air balance. Many systems have air return ducts that are too small.
- Repair damaged and disconnected ducts and straighten out flexible ducts that are tangled or crushed.
- Seal all leaks and connections with mastic, metal tape, or an aerosol-based sealant.
- Seal all registers and grills tightly to the ducts.
- Insulate ducts in unconditioned areas (like attics, crawlspaces, and garages) with duct insulation that carries an R-value of 6 or higher.
- Include a new filter as part of any duct system improvement. The contractor should evaluate air flow after repairs are completed.
- Ensure there is no back drafting of gas or oil-burning appliances, and conduct a combustion safety test after ducts are sealed.
Contact us for Emergency AC repair Elgin, IL
Energy Star – U.S. Environmental Protection Agency – U.S. Department of Energy