Test Your Energy IQ
Answers follow the questions:
1. For which jobs are microwave ovens used most?
Defrosting frozen foods
2. Microwave ovens are currently found in what percentage of all U.S. Homes?
3. Almost all of us use ovens for cooking. What percentage are electric?
4. How many gallons of hot water does the typical dishwasher use during a normal cycle?
5. Ceiling fans are currently found in what percentage of U.S. homes?
10 to 15%
25 to 30%
50 to 55%
6. Switching to fluorescent lighting can save consumers a lot of money. How much money could Americans save collectively each year if we all made the switch to efficient lighting?
$ 1 million
7. Energy-efficient lighting can reduce home electricity demand up to what percent?
8. In a family of four, if each member takes one 10-minute shower a day using a standard shower head, how many gallons of water will the family use a year?
9. How much does the typical family spend in a year to run its electric home appliances?
$100 to $300
$400 to $1,000
$1,100 to $1,500
10. How many gallons of gasoline does a typical driver use each year?
11. What percent of home heat is lost up an open chimney flue after a fire has died in the fireplace?
12. Industry consumes what percent of the total energy used in the United States?
13. Which renewable energy source generates the most electricity?
14. What energy source provides more than half of the electricity in the U.S.?
15. What is the nation’s most plentiful energy source?
U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Public and Consumer Affairs, Consumer and Public Liaison, Energy Information Administration